San Francisco dentist Dr. Stefan Moiceanu takes pride in providing our patients with top-notch services for dental emergencies whenever they occur—any day of the week and any time of the day. Dr. Moiceanu and the Hilltop Family Dental team are on call for all of your emergency dental needs, but, in the event of an emergency, there are a few things you should do to increase the chance of successful treatment.
What to do in a Dental Emergency
In the event of a dental emergency, consider the following:
- Toothache: If you go to the dentist regularly, there’s a good chance that Dr. Moiceanu will catch a potential problem—like a cavity—in the earliest stages. If, however, you experience a toothache, rinse your mouth with warm water and then floss your teeth to remove any food that might be stuck. If your mouth is swollen, apply a cold compress to the outside of your cheek. If the pain persists, call our Richmond dentist office right away.
- Chipped or broken tooth: If you chip or break a tooth, save all of the pieces that you can find. Then, rinse your mouth and the pieces with warm water. If your mouth is bleeding, firmly hold a piece of gauze to the area until the bleeding stops. Then, apply a cold compress to the outside of the mouth, cheek, or lip near the affected area. Call our office immediately to schedule a time for Dr. Moiceanu to repair your tooth.
- Knocked-out tooth: If your tooth is knocked out, find the tooth, hold it by the crown (the part that shows in your mouth), and rinse the tooth with water. It is important to not touch any part of the tooth except for the tip of the crown so that you don’t contaminate the root and tissue. Carefully try to put the tooth back in place, but do not force it. If it’s not possible to reinsert the tooth, put the tooth in a small container of milk or saltwater, and call our office immediately.
- Lost filling or crown: In the event of a lost filling or dental crown, call our office as soon as possible. For fillings, Dr. Moiceanu might suggest an over-the-counter product, like dental cement, to temporarily restore your filling. Depending on your specific needs, Dr. Moiceanu will instruct you over the phone about how to keep your tooth safe without a crown. Bring your crown to your appointment.
- Facial trauma or soft-tissue injuries: Injuries to the face, tongue, cheeks, gums, and lips usually require a visit to the emergency room. Once you arrive at the emergency room, call Dr. Moiceanu’s Richmond dentist office.
For all of your dental needs—routine and emergency—call Hilltop Family Dental in Richmond, California at (510) 758-7222. We serve patients from Richmond, San Pablo, El Sobrante, Vallejo, Pinole, El Cerrito, Hercules, Benicia, and the greater Contra Costa County area.Share on Facebook